Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-usersl] Xen 2.6.18.8 Kernel tree on Ubuntu Kamic

  • To: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Tej <bewith.tej@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 16:45:30 +0530
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 03:15:53 -0800

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 11:14:40AM +0530, Tej wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Recently I have tried Xen 3.4.1 (even xen-unstable.hg) and Linux
>> 2.6.18.8 tree on new ubuntyu karmic koala.
>> I have tried this combination on different machine AMD64, intel i386,
>> but every time I boot process is stop at
>>
>> "Waiting for root file system" , After some time the promt drops to
>> initramfs shell.
>> I am sure the problem is not due to NOT selecting prooper SATA
>> controller or something ike that.....
>>
>> I have tried similar hardware configuration with Xen on Jaunty it
>> works without any problem.
>> I am just wondering why it is refusing to work on Karmic, possible reasons.
>> 1. gcc 4.4
>> 2. make version
>> 3. your thoughts please????
>>
>> I have tried pvops kernel, it works but I need 2.6.18.8 tree so any
>> thoughts???
>
> It sounds a lot like the correct modules aren't being loaded up for
> 2.8.18.8 by the initramfs (that was presumably created while
> running a much newer kernel). When you drop into the initramfs shell
> can you see the root device?

Thats the issue, boot process tries to detect root filesystem, but it
can't. Some reasons for this I know are:
1. Storage controllers are not in kernel and initramfs
2. Pointing wront root device

I could say that both of the problem does not exist.
Now question why configuration worked on jaunty and why not in karmic??