Re: [Xen-devel] VF as default interface on dom0

On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 09:09:43AM +1100, Simon Horman wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 06:35:40AM +0530, Satish Chowdhury wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to make the VF interface of Intel 82576 dual port card, as
> > default outgoing interface on dom0. Data traffic from VMs (HVM) should go
> > through VF interface on dom0.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Ping from domU-1 to VF and PF ip address works.
> > Ping between domU-1 and domU-2 works.
> > But, ping from domU to another machine on same network on switch doesn't
> > work.
> >
> > The arp broadcast request goes out through VF interface. But the arp reply
> > doesn't reach VF interface, they get routed to PF interface. Why is it so?
> >
> > PF interface(eth1) is not part of the eth3 bridge. If I add eth1 to
> > eth3-bridge, then ping from VMs to other machines on switch works.
> >

> > Is there something I am missing? How to make above experiment to work?
>
> Hi Staish,
>
> I suspect that there is some kind of driver issue. Unfortunately
> the building that the dc7800 that I use is undergoing power-maintenance
> (= power-outage) today, so I can't investigate right now.

The machine came back up and I seem to be able to reproduce the problem.
Unfortunately I still don't have any firm ideas on how to fix it.

Have you tried the same thing with the pv_ops kernel, which is
based on a new kernel rather than 2.6.18, which is quite ancient.
I'm curious to know if the problem exists when using possibly more up
to date drivers.