RE: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC] draft tsc_mode patch (to replace tsc_native)

> >> This isn't done yet, but contains the core code for
> >> implementing the mechanism I've been proposing for
> >> handling "tsc_mode" (to replace tsc_native/vtsc),
> >> so I thought I'd ask for some feedback hopefully before
> >> reviewers leave for Xen Summit Asia.
> >
> > Another timer_mode-alike where the users have to deal with
> magic numbers and
> > only the lucky hypervisor developer gets to use meaningful
> names for the
> > members of the enumeration?
>
> By which I mean: it would be nice if xm would convert
> meaningful strings to
> numbers. Not that strings should be passed through xend, or
> at the hypercall
> interface.
>
>  -- Keir

Yeah, it would be nice if tsc_mode could accept
either a number or a word, but if it is a missssspelled
word, I'd hope that domain creation would fail
rather than proceed with the default.

Such python magic is beyond me so I hope it won't
stand in the way of acceptance of the patch,
as (especially if the word version is optional)
someone else could make the change later....
I'd propose 0==default, 1==emulate, 2==native,
3==pvrdtscp (and I've missssspelled that myself
more than once!)

In any case, any other comments, or does it look
reasonable to proceed and finish?

Thanks,
Dan