RE: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.4.1 NUMA support

> > Keir, I will check if dropping the node containment in the CPU
> > overcommitment case is an option, but what would be the right strategy
> > in that case?
> > Warn the user?
> > Don't contain at all?
> > Contain to more than onde node?
>
> I would suggest simply don't contain at all (i.e., keep equivalent
> numa=off
> behaviour) would be safest.

I disagree. In systems with 2 nodes it will use all nodes, which is the same as
your propose[*]. In systems with more nodes it will do placement to some
subset. Note that systems with >2 nodes generally have stronger NUMA effects
and these are exactly the systems where node placement is a good thing.

[*] note that numa=off is quite different from just disabling node placement.
If node placement is disabled we still get the benefit of memory striping
across nodes, which at least avoids some performance cliffs.

Ian