Re: [Xen-devel] Re: APIC rework

On 17/11/2009 12:46, "Zhang, Xiantao" <xiantao.zhang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> If Xen can set the interrupt triggering by itself, why would it ever
>> need dom0 to do it?  Couldn't it just preconfigure all the pins, and
>> then wait for dom0 to provide/request the pirq<->evtchn mapping?
>
> After reviewing the logic, I think we can use DOMID_SELF to identify new dom0.
> In linux-2.6.18 dom0, only qemu uses this hypercall for device assginment, so
> map->domid shouldn't be dom0.  If old dom0/qemu with this hypercall, keeps the
> logic unchanged, and only change the logic for new dom0 when call into it.
> Attached the patch.

Don't like it (subtle semantic difference based on domid field is very odd
and could bite us later), and actually now I look closer I don't like the
original patch much either, if only because it does clearly change the
interface for MAP_PIRQ_TYPE_GSI by adding trigger/polarity flags (and not
documented or exported properly in the physdev.h header file).

I need to take a step back and work out what in fact you're trying to
achieve. I'm going to revert the original patch from xen-unstable. If such
an interface extension is really required, I think at least the new
interface should be a new subtype of MAP_PIRQ_TYPE_xxx, properly described
in the header file. But like I say, I don't know what the patch is even
really trying to do or overcome.

 -- Keir