[Xen-devel] XCP Resource Pools and Workload Balancing Questions

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Pete Perlegos <peteperlegos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 13:26:55 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 02:35:01 -0800

I have some questions about resource pools and workload balancing in
the Xen Cloud Platform:

1) Is there anything behind the default maximum of 16 hosts? Does it
have to do with the complexity of workload balancing for VMs or
something else? Would I have to change a particular parameter to raise
the limit or simply ignore it?

2) You give 64 VMs as the example limit for a resource pool. Is there
any reason for a limit of 64 other than the complexity of workload
balancing for VMs?

3) Homogeneous hosts: Is this an enforced requirement? One can imagine
that with a large resource pool, there will be groups of machines that
have different configurations. I wish to treat these as a single large
resource pool and not break it into mini-pools.

4) Workload Balancing: Is the Analysis Engine a replaceable component?

Thanks,
Pete