[Xen-devel] Re: Live migration fails due to c/s 20627

On 15/12/2009 18:25, "Jeremy Fitzhardinge" <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/15/2009 09:24 AM, Xu, Dongxiao wrote:
>> If CPU has rdtsc but no rdtscp, then the VM exec control bit in VMCS
>> won't be turned on. Therefore if rdtscp instruction runs, it will encounter
>> invalid op code directly but no VMEXIT.
>>

> Ah, right.  You'd need to make that particular illegal instruction vmexit.

We'd need to VMEXIT on any guest #UD and then call into our x86 emulator.
There's just a slight feeling that could have wider impact and implications
than the specific case we'd want to handle here. Then again, #UD is rare and
usually unexpected, so perhaps such a seemingly broad change is not so
dangerous.

 -- Keir