RE: [Xen-devel] [timer/ticks related] dom0 hang during boot on large 1TB system

> From: Jan Beulich [mailto:JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx]

> >On 12/22/2009 09:02 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
> >> No, that won't help. I'm referring to things like Dom0
> accesses to the
> >> M2P table it sees, which doesn't cover even nearly all
> memory. I can't
> >> say whether that can go without problem, but without
> closely looking
> >> at it I don't think you can assume this would work.
> Likewise I would
> >> suspect tools issues (if you use the tools from
> xen-unstable et al),
> >> though I have no precise pointer right now at specific issues.
> >>

> >32-bit dom0 is the standard use model for Citrix product,
> and I think
> >people tend to run it even with xen-unstable.  Its a fairly
> well-tested
> >combination.
>
> But very unlikely with 1Tb of memory, don't you think?
>
> Jan

Only because machines with 1TB are rare/unlikely.  I can't
speak for the Citrix product but there is NO supported
configuration (yet) of the Oracle VM product with a 64-bit dom0.
In other words, if a customer is using a released Oracle VM
product and the machine on which they are running it has 1TB
of physical memory, they ARE using a 32-bit dom0.

However, Oracle VM always specifies a dom0_mem= Xen boot parameter.
(which is always much smaller than 1TB).

If there are known issues with 1TB of memory in this
configuration, we'd like to understand them.  If 1Tb with
32-bit dom0 is rife with hidden unresolvable problems,
we'd like to make a clear support statement as to what the
physical memory limit is.

Thanks,
Dan