Re: [Xen-devel] xen.git plans / 2.6.32 long-term stable kernel

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:59:29PM -0800, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I thought I'd give a quick update on my plans for xen.git for the next
> couple of months.
>
> Firstly, I'll be taking ~3 weeks off over Christmas/NY, so nothing much
> will happen until I get back.

<snip>

> Future/WIP:
>
> xen/next:
>
>    At the moment I'm working on a fresh re-merge of all the Xen topic
>    branches onto a new merge branch based on 2.6.32.  This is
>    definitely Work-In-Progress (in fact, I haven't pushed my current
>    state out yet).
>
>    This idea is to make this a clean merge, containing the current best
>    of all the topic branches, and ideally make it close to something we
>    can upstream.  This will be Xen 4.0-only.
>
>    When done, this will be the base for ongoing development.
>

> xen/stable-2.6.32:
>
>    Based on xen/next.  I'll only include bugfixes, stuff known to be
>    stable, and merge in mainline stable point releases.  This should be
>    a solid dom0 for Xen 4 users.
>
>    I expect there'll be stable-2.6.X branches tracking future released
>    upstream kernels.

Hello,

It seems Linux 2.6.32 will be a long term supported stable release,
ending up in multiple distros..

Distros that are probably going to use it:

        - Debian 6.0 ("Squeeze")
        - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ("Lucid Lynx")
        - RHEL6

Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

kernel.org developers are also going to make 2.6.32 a long-term stable release.
(announced yesterday).

The most interesting of those is Debian 6.0, since it looks like it'll ship
pv_ops dom0 kernel..
but they need 2.6.32 based tree for that to happen :)

-- Pasi