Re: [Xen-devel] How to turn on EPT support?

At 06:41 +0000 on 27 Jan (1264574490), Superymk wrote:
> To test if EPT is enabled on my machine, I add some codes in my own
> xen shadow and create a guest vm (named testvm) by Virtual Machine
> Manager. However, it seems that testvm doesn't use EPT at all (See the
> log). So how to turn on EPT support? I thought it should be enabled
> automatically.

It is in the hypervisor, if the tools ask for it.

> (XEN) (Joan)domain.c:388: Domain ID 1
> (XEN) (Joan)domain.c:389: is_hvm_domain(d) 1
> (XEN) (Joan)domain.c:390: hvm_funcs.hap_supported 1
> (XEN) (Joan)domain.c:391: (domcr_flags & DOMCRF_hap) 0

That's the one - EPT's not enabled because the tools didn't ask for it.
Those flags are passed from the domain-builder tools in dom0
(xc_domain_create() in tools/libxc/xc_domain.c).

If you're using xend, it looks like those flags get assembled from magic
numbers in XendDomainInfo.py based on one of the many config objects.

Try adding 'hap=1' to your xm config file?

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Citrix Systems (R&D) Ltd.