RE: [Xen-devel] profiling active RHEL 4 PV domains with xenoprof

   Yes, you need need xenoprof support both in the kernel and in the OProfile
user level tools in anctive profiled domain.

> http://xenoprof.sourceforge.net/xenoprof_2.0.txt
>
> seems to say no (no mention of --xen switch) but
>
> http://www.xen.org/files/summit_3/xenoprof_tutorial.pdf
>
> seems to say yes (specifies use of --xen in domUs). I'm
> running RHEL 4 in the domU I want to actively profile, and
> RHEL 4 provides the ancient
> oprofile-0.8.1 package, with no support for the --xen switch.
> I've gotten oprofile 0.9.6 with xenoprof patches built on

  Are you sure Oprofile user level tools has xenoprof support?
  The latest patch avaialable in http://xenoprof.sourceforge.net/ is for
oprofile 0.9.5 but you claim to be using 0.9.6
  Try using 0.9.5 and apply the patch.

> RHEL 4 but haven't been able to test it due to XENOPROF_start
> failing (see other message).
>

> Another thing I'm confused about: the above xenoprof tutorial
> also specifies use of the --event switch in domUs, saying
> they must use the same event as dom0. Makes sense, but my
> domUs are PV, and oprofile says only timer interrupts are
> usable. So must I also use timer interrupts on dom0?

  No, you should use the same event in dom0 and domU and not timer mode.
  If Oprofile is reporting timer mode in domU there is something wrong in its
OProfile configuration; either you don't have the right patches or you are not
correctly synchronyzing dom0 and domU opcontrol commands.

  Renato