Re: [Xen-devel] xen-unstable & pvops on *Suse distro? successful howto?

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 08:53:57AM -0800, 0bo0 wrote:
> Starting with a well-updated Opensuse 11.2 distro, I'm attempting to
> build/install a Xen4 + PVOPS kernel on it.
>
> Following the various/disparate Wiki pages,
>
> If I checkout xen-unstable.hg, and build all from there, Xen itself
> builds OK, but the embedded xen.git linux kernel build fails.
>
> If I checkout xen-unstable.hg, build only Xen, and then separately co
> the xen.git tree, using a kernel config from Opensuse's Kernel:HEAD
> repos, Xen builds, the kernel build, again, fails.

Opensuse's kernel is NOT pvops, it's based on forward-ported xenlinux 2.6.18
patches.
So that explains why opensuse's .config didn't work.

> If I repeat the last step, but use the kernel config provided @
> http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/config-2.6.31.4-pvops_dom0-x86_64,
> Xen builds, and the kernel builds.  mkinitrd is OK as well.

That's my .config, and it builds/works for me ;)

> But, @ boot to the new xen+kernel, boot hangs @ grub loading ... I
> never get to any console output.

Please paste your grub.conf.

Did you check the grub configuration examples in:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

Also check this wiki page for setting up a serial console for debugging boot
problems:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenSerialConsole

> Clearly, people on this list are working with *Suse.  Could someone
> share their specific steps, & .config, for getting this 'up' on *Suse?

*Suse is currently shipping forward-ported xenlinux patches, not pv_ops,
so I assume that's why there aren't many pvops+suse stories out there.

I'm sure it can be done though. You'll figure it out :)

-- Pasi