From: ahmad.hassan@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:12:44 +0000
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Linux hangs during reboot on Jeremy's git kernel
To: viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Mike,

Can you please share the screenshot of the screen where it hangs up?

Thanks.

Best Regards, Hassan

From: viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: pasik@xxxxxx; xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 08:25:56 -0500

> Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:20:14 +0200
> From: pasik@xxxxxx
> To: viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Linux hangs during reboot on Jeremy's git kernel
>
> On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 09:43:18PM -0500, Mike Viau wrote:
> > Link: [1]File-List
> > Link: [2]themeData
> > Link: [3]colorSchemeMapping
> >
> > I was unable to find issues in the mailing list archive pertaining to
> > Linux hanging during the reboot of the dom0 on Jeremy's PV git kernel.
> >
> > I setup a fresh x86_64 Debian Lenny system using the 2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel
> > which can reboot my system by ctrl+alt+del or by simply using the reboot
> > command.
> >
> > Then I lost the ability to reboot after using my compiled PVOPS kernel.
> >
> > STEPS TAKEN TO BUILD PV DOM0:
> >
> > sudo apt-get install git-core kernel-package fakeroot build-essential
> > ncurses-dev
> >
> > Then I checked out linux-2.6-xen to my source/building directory with:
> > 1) git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git
> > linux-2.6-xen
> >
> > 2) and then used the .config (renamed accordingly)
> > @
> > http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/config-2.6.31.4-pvops_dom0-x86_64
> >
> > 3) in the kernel source directory
> >
> > make-kpkg clean
> >
> > 4) CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=`grep -c '^processor' /proc/cpuinfo` fakeroot
> > make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-xen kernel_image kernel_headers
> >
> > 5) everything compiled fine so I installed the outputted debs (dpkg -i
> > *.deb) successfully
> >
> > 6) updated my grub configuration (menu.lst)
> >
> > The system boots fine, but then I just cannot restart the dom0. I tried
> > the suggestions at:
> > [4]http://blogs.koolwal.net/2009/08/04/howto-fix-linux-hangfreeze-during-reboots-and-restarts/
> >
> > Using the reboot= kernel options did not fix the rebooting issue.
> >
> > QUESTIONS:
> >
> > Firstly does anyone have a fix or patch for an issue like this?
> >

> reboot and shutdown works for me now.. there was issues with it for a long time,
> but I thought all of those were already fixed.
>
> I guess there's some bug left.. this might be xen-devel material.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that me hardware is fairly new. Intel i7 860 with P55 chipset. Regardless I am forwarding this to the devel list.

> > Secondly is there a more suitable or updated .config to use rather than
> > the one I used for step #2
> >

> After copying the config as .config, you should run "make oldconfig" to adapt
> it to your current kernel version.

I wish it was this simple, I compared my compiled kernel config in /boot to the .config left in the kernel source directory and they are exact copies. Anyways I really do appreciate the suggestion Pasi!

> -- Pasi

For the devel team. What information would assist solving the reboot hang. I look forward to working with anyone that wishes to help.

Additionally I am using make-kpkg because I believe it to be the correct debian way. I looked for a way to build both a linux-image (vmlinuz + modules) deb binary and linux-headers deb binary package for installation.

I am aware that the linux-2.6-xen Makefile offers a "make deb-pkg" phony, but this only builds the linux-image part into a deb. I believe the source directory is used as the kernel head directory by default, however I'd prefer it to be hard coded to /usr/src/$(kernel version) and have a deb file unpack just the kernel headers to that directory.

How might one use the Makefile options to include headers for the appropriate kernel and appropriate file system location?

Thanks.

-M

Live connected with Hotmail on your phone. Learn more.

Windows® phone-your Windows stuff, on the go. See more.

Not using Hotmail on your phone? Why not? Get it now.