Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Linux hangs during reboot on Jeremy's git kernel

> > a). Bare-metal. Boot pv-ops and shutdown. Does it do it?
>
>  Yes oddly enough, shutdown is fine, only hangs on reboot.
>
>  Also I'd like to note I am only using the kernel as a bare-metal kernel, so
> I have not loaded it as a module in grub with the hypervisor.
>
> > b). If it does not, try an earlier kernel or a distro supplied one.
> >
> > If the a) or b) don't work then you have a very unique motherboard
> > and we will need to play a bit with 'reboot=' command line arguments.
> > Look in arch/x86/kernel/reboot.c for details.
> >

>  I have tried using different reboot=X kernel command line arguments, but
> none of them have correct the rebooting issue. In fact the system hangs the
> same way in all cases.

<scratches his head> That is most bizzare.
Can you try to get the latest linux kernel and see how it works?

> > Lets assume that a) or b) do work. We want to find out what it does
> > to the machine. You can instrument the code (reboot.c?) and find out
> > which mechanism it uses.
> >

>  I know that the system reboot fine with the Debian 2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel.
> Please suggest how one might compare these kernels reboot.c. Shall I simply
> run the diff utility. I can read C source, but to truly understand it I feel
> I need to have written the code... With help I believe I can find the
> mechanism it uses.

Diff would do it. Look for shutdown.c and reboot.c file.
..snip ..
> > What is weird is that your screenshot says "machine reboot" which only
> > shows up when you are running on bare-metal. Was that screen shot taken
> > when pv-ops was running under Xen or bare-metal?
>
>  As mentioned previous, I was using bare-metal indeed. Should I expect the
> reboot functionality to work with Jeremy's kernel after using the Xen
> Hypervisor?

Probably not. The shutdown/reboot code is similar to the upstream
kernel. So if the upstream is not working, then this one wouldn't
either.