Re: [Xen-devel] pre-reservation of memory for domain creation

At 16:25 +0000 on 08 Feb (1265646333), Jan Beulich wrote:
> >Hmmm.  Some shadow memory has to be allocated before the VCPUs are
> >initialized so that they can be given monitor pagetables etc.  Some
> >shadow memory has to be allocated before the guest's main memory is
> >assigned because the p2m is built out of shadow memory.
>
> So is there a way to quantify that? In particular, is that *initial*
> amount in any way dependent on the number of vCPU-s?

Sort of, and not very.  We currently allocate about a page per megabyte
for p2m; we use a small amount per vcpu (maybe as many as 7 pages)
before the vpcu can be scheduled.

> I'm re-raising this question because we're not seeming to make any
> progress towards a satisfactory resolution of the regression c/s 20389
> introduced.

I thought the regression was the Xen crash and that should be fixed by
the patch I sent.

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, XenServer Engineering