Re: [Xen-devel] modifying drivers

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 17:12 +0000, Ritu kaur wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 1:07 AM, Ian Campbell
> <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>         It's not overhead, it is the *right* way to implement control
>         operations
>         of this sort. Your QA scripts are ideally placed to do this.
>
> Can you elaborate on this? If I understand this correctly, you are
> saying QA scripts written by us can be used to  access or restrict
> i.e run these scripts from dom0 and allow or restrict access to a
> specific domU? I am not aware if this is possible without modifying
> toolstack?

You can use "xm network-attach" and "xm network-detach" to add and
remove a guest VIF to ensure only the guest you wish to test has a vif.
You can call these commands from scripts etc. You can also modify (or
generate) your guest configuration files as necessary to ensure guests
are started with the VIFs you require. Nothing here should require
toolstack or kernel modifications.

>         Are you sure you shouldn't be looking at PCI passthrough
>         support or
>         something of that nature?
>

> We are looking into this option as well. However from the following
> wiki it seems we have to compile guest OS with pcifrontend driver
> support.

Most PV guests have this support enabled out of the box.

> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Assign_hardware_to_DomU_with_PCIBack_as_module?highlight=%28pci%29
>
> We are looking at different ways to accomplish the task and clearly we
> would like to test out all options before making a decision.
>
> Modifying netback is one of the options(not the final one) and clearly
> the changes we are doing has nothing netback specific, modifying and
> testing it out doesn't hurt either. Appreciate if you or someone on
> the list can provide some inputs on debugging the issue I mentioned in
> my first email.

I think you need to take a step back and become familiar with how a Xen
system currently works and is normally configured and managed before you
dive in and start modifying kernel drivers and toolstacks. You are in
danger of going completely off into the weeds at the moment.

Ian.