Re: [Xen-devel] windows domU disk performance graph comparing hvm vs stubdom vs pv drivers

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, Keith Coleman wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Stefano Stabellini
> <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> phy, LV
> >>

> > That is strange because in that configuration I get a far better
> > disk bandwidth with stubdoms compared to qemu running in dom0.
> >

> What type of test are you doing?

these are the results I got a while ago running a simple "dd if=/dev/zero
of=file" for 10 seconds:

qemu in dom0: 25.1 MB/s
qemu in a stubdom: 56.7 MB/s

I have just run just now "tiobench with --size 256 --numruns 4 --threads
4" using a raw file as a backend:

qemu in dom0, using blktap2, best run:

 File  Blk   Num                   Avg      Maximum      Lat%     Lat%    CPU
 Size  Size  Thr   Rate  (CPU%)  Latency    Latency      >2s      >10s    Eff
------ ----- ---  ------ ------ --------- -----------  -------- -------- -----
 256   4096    4   85.82 108.6%     0.615     1534.10   0.00000  0.00000    79

qemu in a stubdom, using phy on a loop device, best run:

 File  Blk   Num                   Avg      Maximum      Lat%     Lat%    CPU
 Size  Size  Thr   Rate  (CPU%)  Latency    Latency      >2s      >10s    Eff
 256   4096    4  130.49 163.8%     0.345     1459.94   0.00000  0.00000    80

These results as for the "sequential reads" test and rate is in
megabytes per second.
If I use phy on a loop device with qemu in dom0 unexpectedly I get much
worse results.
Same thing happens if I use tap:aio with qemu in a stubdom, but this is
kind of expected since blktap is never going to be as fast as blkback.