Re: [Xen-devel] RE: [Xen-users] How to: Improve Network Throughput of a XEN kernel?

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 10:44:38AM -0500, Mike Viau wrote:
>    >
>    > On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 07:50:59PM -0500, Mike Viau wrote:
>    > > >Any just first argument dummy=dummy should on kenel line.
>    > > > Read Wiki one more time. It works.
>    > >
>    > > I believe you that it does work. I was able to see (XEN) messages
>    coming from the hypervisor, but no matter how I changed the option I kept
>    getting a kernel fault.
>    > >
>    > > I feel like it was time to stop mucking around with getting Ubuntu and
>    the grub2 boot loader to work with XEN so I decided to install a headless
>    OpenSUSE 11.2 system.
>    > >
>    > > The openSUSE distribution supported Xen 3.4.1 tools, and had a
>    2.6.31.12 xenified kernel. On this setup I experience identical network
>    performance.
>    > >
>    > > ~1MB/s - w/ xen kernel
>    > > ~4.5 MB/s - w/ non-xen kernel
>    > >
>    > > I use the e1000e kernel module driver for my Ethernet card.
>    > >
>    > > Is this typical Dom0 (or Xen Host) network performance with a xenified
>    kernel or is just in my two setups that one encounters such a network
>    performance hit to the Dom0?
>    > >
>    >
>    > No, it's not typical.
>    >
>    > How are you measuring the performance? In a gigabit network you should
>    be able
>    > to push around 110 MB/sec.. 4.5 MB/sec sounds really slow.
>
>    I am using Fast Ethernet (100MB). What sort of throughput should I expect
>    becasue I also believe ~1MB is too slow, even just to/from the Dom0,
>    without any network emulation to the DomUs.

100 Mbit ethernet can transfer around 11 MB/sec.

>    I simply used SCP, HTTP, and FTP file transfer protocols on the Xen host
>    to another computer on the LAN. The ~4.5MB/s bottleneck is the hard drive
>    on the other computer so I suspect the true bandwidth would be higher, but
>    getting past the ~1MB/s roadblock is my major concern.

Try using normal FTP (without encryption), or iperf.

Or wget to /dev/null, like: wget -O /dev/null http://testserver/file

>    I have tried two linux distros and both forward ported xenified and
>    parvirtualized xen kernel.
>
>    Does the Xen hypervisor have any effect on the network throughput? Would
>    updating the Intel E1000E kernel module driver affect the network
>    throughput?

Shouldn't be big difference, when you measure from dom0.

-- Pasi