Re: [Xen-devel] domU guest for xcp 0.1.1

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 02:04 +0000, Ritu kaur wrote:
> Thanks Ian and Pasi, it took me much less time than I had thought to
> fix drivers and I am able to see nic interfaces via ifconfig. I am yet
> to test ping and other stuff. Had couple of questions
>
> 1. I used xe vm-param-clear uuid=<uuid-of-vm> param-name=other-config
> on dom0 and rebooted domU assuming dom0 will get back pci device. It
> didn't. I had to reboot dom0 in order to unhook pci device from domU.
> Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Aside: you need "param-key=pci" in the above or I think you will clear
all keys in other-config which is unlikely to be what you want. You
could also have used vm-param-set other-config:pci="".

The NIC will remain bound to the pciback driver until you explicitly
unbind it and rebind to another driver in domain 0 and won't be
available until you do this. You can rebind the driver echo'ing the PCI
BDF of the device into the "unbind" and "bind" nodes under the
appropriate drivers in sysfs. e.g. for pcidev=0000:00:08.0:

echo -n "$pcidev" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/"$pcidev"/driver/unbind
echo -n "$pcidev" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/$mydriver/bind

> 2. Unrelated to pci passthrough, xen/stable code I downloaded doesn't
> seem to have netfront drivers or any front drivers, doesn't it come by
> default when you download from xen/stable?

It should do. The modules have different names though, xen-netfront and
xen-blkfront IIRC.

Ian.