Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Panic on boot on Sun Blade 6270

>>> Dan Gora <dan.gora@xxxxxxxxx> 16.03.10 12:48 >>>
>On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If so, why didn't you report this to our support folks yet?
>
>I haven't reported the 3.4.1 crash just because:
>1) I just found it a couple of days ago.
>2) I don't have a support contract.
>3) I'm really busy trying to solve the issue with my board.

Reporting 3.4.1 problems there wouldn't be accepted anyway. This
was just under the (now known wrong) assumption that the shipped
hypervisor also wouldn't work.

>So we should be able use 4.0 on SLES 11 somehow?  How can I install a
>newer Xen on this system.  The only way that I can get anything to
>work that I compile from source is using the Xen 3.3.1 SRPM and using
>rpmbuild to build the RPMs from that.  With that I can also modify the
>3.3.1 Xen a bit to add printfs and the like to actually debug the
>problem with my board (although that process is a total pain).

I think you better forget rpm here. Extract the Xen tarball and run
"make xen tools" followed by (as root) "make install-xen" and possibly
(if you don't care overwriting files coming from the Xen RPMs, and if
you're prepared to sort out eventual inconsistencies)
"make install-tools" (I generally avoid doing the latter).

>Is it possible to build something from the hg Xen repo and install it
>on the SLES 11 system and have it work?  There seem to be a lot of
>suse specific patches in the SRPMs, but I haven't gone through them to
>see what they are all about...

Quite a number of them are backports of upstream changesets. But
of course there are also (too) many that don't have upstream
equivalents. Nevertheless, running newer upstream Xen underneath
SLE11 (or other SuSE) kernels is supposed to work (I occasionally
find myself needing to do this).

Jan