RE: [Xen-devel] dom0 hang in xen-4.0.0-rc5 - possible acpi issue? [WAS: Using xen-unstable, dom0 hangs during boot]

  • To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Nadolski, Ed" <Ed.Nadolski@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:34:52 -0600
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, "Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:36:48 -0700

This is the Intel 5520 chipset (Dell T7500 quad-core Xeon workstation).

(BTW I'm now running xen 4.0.0-rc6 and still seeing this.)

> > > Workaround for affected systems: Use of "acpi_skip_timer_override"
> > > as kernel command line option. Sometimes "nohpet" or "acpi=noirq"
> > > have been reported to work, too."
> >

> > Is there a way that I can verify that this is the issue?
>
> Yes. You need to boot the pv-ops under bare-metal so that we can be sure
> this is not a Xen hypervisor problem, but the pv-ops kernel having an issue.

The pv-ops kernel boots fine on baremetal, without specifying
acpi_skip_timer_override.  So I guess this is a Xen issue after all. Here is
the grub.conf that I used to boot the baremetal:

title Fedora-12 (2.6.31.12) Baremetal dom0 boot
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.31.12 ro
root=UUID=edbcbc29-f3e4-4985-80c1-3c3b0ce24d17  LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us console=tty0
console=ttyS0,115200 debug initcall_debug apic=debug
        initrd /initramfs-2.6.31.12.img

> Please provide the serial output with debugging turned on (debug
> initcall_debug apic=debug).

Attached.

Thanks,
Ed