Re: [Xen-devel] Automatic loading of xen-evtchn module in Xen 4.0.0?

On 03/27/2010 10:32 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
Hello,

xend automatically mounts /proc/xen, but it doesn't try loading evtchn or
xen-evtchn modules.
Should we add automatic loading of these modules?

xend doesn't start if xen event channel functionality is missing.

Fedora Xen rpms do load modules automatically, like this:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/modules/xen.modules
#!/bin/sh

test -d /proc/xen                               || exit 0
test -f /proc/xen/capabilities                  || mount -t xenfs xen /proc/xen
test -f /proc/xen/capabilities                  || exit 0
grep -q "control_d" /proc/xen/capabilities      || exit 0

for module in xen-evtchn evtchn blkbk netbk; do
         modprobe ${module}>/dev/null 2>&1
done

We should be able to make these mount automatically with udev rules, I think, but I'm not sure whether you can do udev rules to mount misc devices (which is what /dev/xen/evtchn is).

I think the front/back xenbus and device drivers are still a bit of a mess with regard to modules; I have to admit I tend to just compile them all in. It would be nice to get all that properly sorted out so they can be sensibly modularized and auto-loaded as required. (A good first step would be to systematically work out what compile combinations actually work or fail, hint, hint ;)