[Xen-devel] Is Xen support in Debian going to nowhere?

  • To: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 01:51:25 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:51:25 -0700

Hi there,

If you didn't see it, you should read the thread "Xen, Squeeze, and
Beyond" on the debian-devel list that you may have missed:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/02/thrd2.html#00653
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/03/threads.html#00005

This clearly shows you what I told you about the lack of support for Xen
in Debian. What I see is that there's more a lack of communication than
anything else.

Debian is like no others distribution, if nobody cares doing the dirty
work of packaging, some software can go away from the archive, simply
because of the lack of task force. The disaster of the Lenny dom0 with
no upstream support should be avoided at all costs, and the only way to
do so is by having people working on Xen involved in Debian. Otherwise,
the Debian kernel team will simply hate working on maintaining a Xen
dom0 (which is already the case, I believe).

Any lack of responsiveness of everyone can lead to nowhere. I feel it's
a shame that nobody from this list stood in this thread to say that he
will help the kernel team this time, so that the Debian kernel team can
feel there's a real support from "upstream".

Thomas

P.S: Of course, everyone knows that if the patches from J. are finally
accepted, all issues are over, but betting that this will happen before
Squeeze is released is a very dangerous bet.