[Xen-devel] Using xen-netfront in dom0

Hello,
In xen-netfront.c, there is an explicit check if we are running in dom0, and
if so, skip initialization:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=blob;f=drivers/net/xen-netfront.c;h=ee7465a7a2a9fa563f44a470bdad1911e175d1ad;hb=xen/stable-2.6.32.x#l1807

But if using a driver domain (with a NIC assigned), then definitely there is
a need to run xen-netfront in dom0. In fact, commenting out the
xen_initial_domain() check makes it work fine with a driver domain.

Is there any reason for this check, besides obviously false assumption
"nobody needs it in dom0" ? On a related note, there seems to be no such
check in xen-blkfront.c.

If there are no disadvantages, I would vote for removal of the
xen_initial_domain() check; otherwise, can we have a module parameter
"allow_dom0" ?

Regards,
Rafal Wojtczuk
The Qubes OS Project