Re: [Xen-devel] Xen PV-On-HVM in Kernel 2.6.33.X

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:12:56AM +0100, Robert Dunkley wrote:
> Does this improvement mean the kernel just need to be compiled with PV
> drivers and it will then connect to older 2.6.18 Xen Dom0 kernels with
> paravirt Network and IO?

Uhm, yes, and no.

Xen PV-on-HVM drivers for the _guest_ kernel provide optimized IO (disk/net)
for Xen HVM guests.

It doesn't matter (in theory) what kernel you're running in dom0, because
Xen hypervisor is the compatibility layer between guests..

> (I'm trying to find out what is needed to get RHEL Xen-Vnif type
> paravirt NIC support into a generic HVM type kernel)

Yeah, RHEL5 has PV-on-HVM drivers available. SLES10 and SLES11 have them aswell.

Xen source tree currently contains PV-on-HVM drivers (unmodified_drivers)
for 2.6.18 and 2.6.27 kernels.

The plan is to get these Xen PV-on-HVM drivers accepted/merged into upstream
Linux kernel.

> Link:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commi
> tdiff;h=ffde22ac53b6d6b1d7206f1172176a667eead778

That patch is related to KVM hosts, not to Xen hosts.

-- Pasi