Re: [Xen-devel] Areca RAID with Xen 3.4 and Linux 2.6.32 dom0

On 05/06/2010 06:25 AM, Florian Wagner wrote:
> I'm trying to boot Xen 3.4.1 with a Linux 2.6.32-12 with dom0 support
> from Debian unstable (linux-image-2.6.32-12-xen-amd64).

I'm not exactly sure what kernel version this is.  Have you tried a
xen.git 2.6.32.12 kernel?
>  The result is
> a system unable to find its root filesystem on an Areaca ARC-1120 RAID
> controller because of some SCSI issues. I've attach the Xen and Linux
> boot messages.
>
> Booting the very same kernel without a the Xen hypervisor works with no
> problems.

OK, that's good to know.

> Another system with a LSI MegaRAID SCSI 320-2 shows the same behaviour
> but with different error messages. If helpful I could provide captured
> boot messages for this system, too.

Yes please.

> Any idea if this is a hypervisor or a kernel problem?

It looks like the kernel is having some problem mapping the device into
its address space, but it isn't clear where the problem lies.

Things to try:

   1. boot with dom0 with <4G and <2G RAM and see if that changes the
      behaviour (dom0_mem= on the Xen command line)
   2. boot Xen with iommu=off (though I'm not sure it gets used on AMD
      systems?)
   3. try a newer version of Xen (3.4.2, 3.4.3-rc or 4.0.0)
   4. try a current xen.git xen/stable-2.6.32.x kernel

Thanks,