Re: [Xen-devel] Name of event-channel and other devices vs. udev

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 03:05:10PM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> On 05/27/2010 07:31 AM, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > Xen themself is responsible for this behaviour.
> You presumably don't mean the hypervisor.

No. But Xen as delivered == hypervisor + tools.

>                                            Do you mean the toolstack is
> doing something bad when the misc device has a '/' in it?  I noticed
> when I applied your change it does things like look in
> /sys/class/xen/evtchn (or something).

It does the following:
- Search in /sys/**/evtchn for the device number, this fails.
- Compares the existing /dev/xen/evtchn with the error and unlinks it.
- Tries to mknod it again with the error value, this fails.

> What other changes are needed to keep things working after this change?

To possibilities:
- Fix the error detection in this crude device creation code.
- Rip it out and always rely on the system to provide the devices.

For Debian I already decided to use the later one.

Bastian

--
We'll pivot at warp 2 and bring all tubes to bear, Mr. Sulu!