RE: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Physical hot-add cpus and TSC

> Linux doesn't make strong
> guarantees to applications about TSC semantics, by synthesising TSC, or
> anything like that.

Working on that ;-)  IMHO, any non-privileged use of rdtsc,
even under the control of the kernel (e.g. vsyscall) has
potential issues in a virtual machine.  Except a VMware
VM, where the problem is completely solved.

But, as you know, many Linux kernel developers aren't too
interested in solving problems for Xen, so there's an
uphill battle :-(

> Anyhow, retreading this argument is not going to be fruitful
> It's fair to
> say that your definition is now also Xen's definition.

Sorry, I'm not trying to beat a dead horse.  I'm just
playing whack-a-mole and repeating arguments for a
new audience and a new corner case.  If you prefer, I
can take that offlist.