Re: [Xen-devel] Intel Xeon E5620 CPU and VT-d (IOMMU) support?

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 07:40:07PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm planning to upgrade my testbox and I was checking for hardware options.
> Can someone verify if Intel Xeon E5620 CPU supports (or doesn't support) VT-d
> IOMMU?
>
> I'm asking because Intel website doesn't mention VT-d for E5620:
> http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47925
>
> .. but it does for some (older) CPUs (E5520):
> http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=40200
>
> The chipset I'm planning to get (Intel 5520 Tylersburg) does have VT-d /
> IOMMU support listed.

So one thing I didn't know was that you need equivalant number of DMAR
entries for the IO-APICs on your motherboard. If you have three IO-APICs (like,
this
SuperMicro X8something), you need three DMAR entries - mine only has
one. Which means that VT-d is turned off (Xen and both Linux baremetal
do this) as it can't do its magic on the other IO-APICs to re-route the IRQs
to the guest. You can hack the code to re-enable it, but then you must
disable the x2APIC.