RE: [Xen-devel] xend doesn't start with xen-staging tip (on ubuntu 9.10 or 10.04)

> From: Ian Jackson [mailto:Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
> Dan Magenheimer writes ("RE: [Xen-devel] xend doesn't start with xen-
> staging tip (on ubuntu 9.10 or 10.04)"):
> > "Your networking to your Xen guests which always worked has
> > suddenly stopped working when you've upgraded to the latest
> > Xen bits.  You asked on xen-devel what to do to fix it
> > and got the reply: 'You need to set up your own network
> > to go through a bridge now'.  Do you know now exactly what
> > trivial things you need to do?  If not, do you know exactly
> > where to look for documentation to tell you what you need to do?"
>
> People who are running production systems on xen-unstable bits need
> more help than we can sensibly give them.

True enough.  But to clarify, we're not talking about those people;
we're talking about *developers* updating xen-unstable bits on an
otherwise completely stable base distro.  And we're talking about
xen-users installing xen-unstable on their systems to see if
it fixes a bug or adds an important feature they are waiting for.
"Oops, networking is broke, I guess I'd better roll back"...
which means fewer people testing and giving feedback on xen-unstable.

> As I say we'll make a song and dance about this in the 4.1 release
> notes, announcements, etc.  Another related substantial change will be
> the switch away from xend in the default configuration, and it makes
> sense to make both of these changes at the same time.

Historically in Xen, "song and dance" has been more like
"hum a bar offkey and quickly twirl around" :-)  I hope
this change at this release is a bit more.