Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Xen-unstable save error

On 06/22/2010 08:48 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 22.06.10 at 08:23, Michal Novotny<minovotn@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Jan, as we were solving this with Keir on the list I was unable to save
the HVM guest properly and reverting your c/s 21615 helped and with your
patch reverted it was working fine. Any idea why there were so type
failures for all the pages of HVM guest?
Not really, and I think you will need to find out by instrumenting the
hypercall implementation (XEN_DOMCTL_getpageframeinfo{2,3}) -
really, type failures should only happen for grant frames and I/O
memory pages (as you can see in the code, for the function to
report XTAB either the MFN must be invalid, must be a Xen frame,
or it must be impossible to obtain a reference to the page - all of
which shouldn't hold for the majority of a HVM guest's pages).

Btw., Keir, is it really correct for the type to be returned as zero
(normal page) when xsm_getpageframeinfo() returns non-zero?

Is there anything special about the guest you're trying to save? That
patch was tested quite extensively here before submission...

Jan

Nothing special, the guest is RHEL-5 i386 HVM guest with the serial console enabled in /boot/grub/grub.conf to be able to access it using the `xm console` command. It returns no error printed to the xend.log (except when I added the debug output) but the total size of the 'ls -alh /path/to/save/file' (after the save) is 54M instead of > 1G (the guest memory size).

Michal

--
Michal Novotny<minovotn@xxxxxxxxxx>, RHCE
Virtualization Team (xen userspace), Red Hat