[Xen-tools] Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-bugs] Re: [Xen-users] Network problem after updates

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 04:23:13PM +0200, Francisco Barrera wrote:
> Hello Konrad,
>
> I follow your suggestion and I downgrade the Xen dom0 and hipervisor to
> the 3.1.2 vesion and 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5xen kernel (versions by default
> in RHEL 3.5).
>
> At this moment all works fine, but this message in /var/log/mesages
> worry me a lot:
>
> pciback 0000:09:00.0: Driver tried to write to a read-only configuration
> space field at offset 0x4c, size 2. This may be harmless, but if you
> have problems with your device:
> 1) see permissive attribute in sysfs
> 2) report problems to the xen-devel mailing list along with details of
> your device obtained from lspci.

Well, do the second. Get the 'lspci -vvv' output of the device and lets
take a look at what offset 0x4c is? If might be complelty benign at
which point your problem is with something else.

> This is the same message that appears in the previous update to xen
> 3.4.1 that I did make, and at the moment to make it, all works fine
> also.
> Then, after a lot of network traffic, the system began to freeze, as I
> describe in my first message.

Just to make sure I comprehend this properly.
 1). You are running the same software setup you did months ago after
     a brief update.
 2). Your machine freezes. But it did not freeze months ago when you
     ran the same software setup?

> The question is if I add the address in the message in the
> xend-pci-permissive file can solve this, or if I need to downgrade to
> lower version to avoid it.

I am definitly missing something here. You did have a stable version at
some point that did not exhibit any problems, correct? Is that the
version you are running now?