Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Patch RFC] ttm: nouveau accelerated on Xen pv-ops kernel

On 06/23/10 14:54, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

>>> ..
>>>
>>> Fixed! Plus I've tested it on:
>>>
>>> GeForce 1 256
>>> GeForce 3 NV20
>>> GeForce 4 Ti 4200
>>> GeForce 8600 GT
>>> ICH5 82865G
>>> ICH7 82G33/G31G
>>> ICH8 82Q963/Q965
>>> Matrox G450
>>> Radeon ES1000
>>> Radeon HD 3200
>>> Radeon R100 QD (7200)
>>> Radeon RV100QY (7000)
>>> Radeon RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]
>>> RIVA TNT2 Pro
>>>
>>> Details on: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenPVOPSDRM
>>> There are two bugs that are creeping up. One of the can be disabled by
>>> 'nopat' on the command line. The other, well the other is only seen
>>> during shutdown.

>>> I rebased the branch and it is now devel/kms.fixes-0.3
>>>
>> Which stable branch have you rebased it for (.31, .32, .33?)?
>
> .32.
>
> and then I backported the DRM/TTM/KMS from 2.6.34 to be able to test the
> nouveau driver.
>>
>> Have you tested it with some composting Window Manager (e.g. in KDE or
>> Gnome with enables desktop effects)?
>
> Yes. I think so (isn't that the default thing?).

No, both KDE and GNOME have composition disabled by default. On KDE, you
need to go to Computer/System Settings/Desktop and then "Enable Desktop
Eff3cts". You might need to click on the "Advanced" tab, and choose
XRender instead of Open GL (and maybe also tick "Disable Functionality
checks").

> Played some tuxracer when testing it on Radeon and I think the i915,

i915 is the Intel card, right? So, it's not served by the nouveau code,
is it?

> so the OpenGL components worked OK.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I think I never got Open GL working on
nouveau, even on baremetal (I tested via KDE -- see above).

> I know that 3D don't work on the nouveau driver so hadn't
> tried that.

No worries, 3D desktop effects are overrated ;) All I want is "Expose" :)

>> Have you also tested it with Xorg 1.8.0? This is now default in F13, and
>> it used new nouveau driver interface 0.16 (previous Xorgs exprected
>> version 0.15).
>
> Yes. I used for initial testing with whatever was in F13 Alpha drop?. After
> all of that testing I switched my main desktop machine to use F13
> with the using xorg-x11-server 1.8.0-12.fc13 and with a GeForce 8600 GT.
>
> It works - thought I keep on getting those PSE warnings whenever an
> application
> has been killed (http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenPVOPSDRM, look for
> Status).

I know it's offtopic, but anybody tried Xorg 1.8.0 on Intel HD? I
crashes every 5 minutes or so, when one enables composition in KDE. And
this happens on baremetal F13 too!

>> Finally, have you tested S3 sleep? (Has anybody actually got pvops0 .31
>> or .32 support S3 sleep?).
>
> HA! Working on that and S5 right now. Jeremy mentioned he did get S3
> working, but hadn't tried other modes. S5, S3, and S1 on my SuperMicro
> XF8TN just don't work. Not sure if I have the Xen ACPI hypercalls
> thought in the code base.

What is the fundamental difference in S3 sleep support between pvops0
vs. xenlinux, which seems to support S3 sleep quite well. At least the
2.6.34-xenlinux, the one from OpenSUSE? Or is it just the .34 kernel,
that apparently is said to have lots of S3 sleep improvements?

joanna.