[Xen-devel] TRIM support for VDI

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: George Shuklin <nge@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 18:09:30 +0400
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 07:10:40 -0700

Good day.

We have small discussion about way to dynamically allocate disk space on block
devices for guest VM, and there is small idea:

If we creating sparsed VDI, it allow guest drive to grown 'on-demand', but we
have no mechanism to put back to 'common pool' free drive space when files are
removed in guest VM.

But we have nice command from SSD to make space free again: this command named
TRIM. Most of modern operating system support it or will support in near future.

All we need - just to make trimmed area sparsed back again. And it we use a
nice top-level storage with information deduplication, if we fill trimmed area
by zeroes, it will be automatically deduplicated! And free space will be
avaible for other VM!

--
wBR,George.