[Xen-devel] help with xenstored 'hang'

  • To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 16:15:25 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:18:17 -0700

I'm trying to debug an 'xm list' hang on a large (~700 hosts) Xen 3.2
production installation.  The hang occurs randomly, on a random host.
User has provided cores of xend and xenstored processes when hang
occurs.  After poking at these cores I have discovered

In xend process, a thread is blocked on a cond variable, waiting for a
response to XS_TRANSACTION_START from xenstored. A reader thread
responsible for reading from xenstored is blocked on read(2).

In the xenstored process, the lone thread is blocked on select(2),
waiting for IO. I examined the connections list and see that it contains
a connection for the XS_TRANSACTION_START request.  Dumping the
connection object:

(gdb) p *(struct connection *)0x526c70
$48 = {list = {next = 0x517c30, prev = 0x5151f0}, fd = 13, id = 0,
can_write =
true, in = 0x523600,
out_list = {next = 0x526c98, prev = 0x526c98}, transaction = 0x0,
transaction_list = {next = 0x523560,
prev = 0x523560}, next_transaction_id = 60231445, transaction_started = 1,
domain = 0x0, watches = {
next = 0x51daa0, prev = 0x5267b0}, write = 0x402460 <writefd>, read =
0x405180 <readfd>}

Notice transaction_started is set to 1, but out_list is empty. AFAICT,
that means the reply has been sent to xend. The reader thread in xend
should have received the response and signaled the cond variable -
allowing execution to progress. Ultimately, xend would send a
XS_TRANSACTION_END message, freeing the connection object in xenstored
and removing it from connections list.

Does my understanding of this code sound correct?  Anyone have
suggestions or further debugging tips?  Examining cores is about my only
debug option as user does not want to deploy debug patches, enable
tracing, etc. across 700 hosts.

Interestingly, when user strace's or attaches to xenstored process with
gdb, xenstored "awakes", the hung 'xm list' returns, and xenstored
continues normally.  A new connection to xenstored (e.g. running xmtop)
seems to poke it along as well.  Would a timeout on select(2) in main
loop of xenstored help at all?

Thanks for any insights!
Jim