[Xen-devel] Multi-vcpu HVM Linux domain hanging during boot

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 14:40:08 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 06:41:09 -0700

I've got an HVM Linux guest, Debian 2.6.18-6-686 kernel, which works
fine if vcpus=1 but hangs if vcpus=2.

I'm pretty sure that it worked with vcpus=2 earlier this week, but now
I seem unable to find a hypervisor/tools/qemu combination within the
last month that works.

It hangs just after detecting TSC as a timesource.  It's busy-waiting
(both cpus pegged).  Vcpu 0 is in a function called
hrtimer_run_queues, vcpu1 is in a function called do_timer.  Xentrace
reports that vcpu 1 has an interrupt pending, but that it's not being
delivered because interrupts are disabled in the vcpu's eflags.

I've even tried going back to an earlier disk snapshot and booting a
different kernel (2.6.18-4-686), just to make sure it's not something
dumb like a corrupt VM image.

Anyone else had this problem?  Can anyone ATM successfully boot a
mutli-processor HVM guest of any kind?

I'm going to build and install a kernel that I have the source for, so
I can see whether the guest thinks interrupts should be enabled or
not, but I'd appreciate any other ideas / suggestions people have to
help diagnose the problem...

 -George