Re: [Xen-devel] Xen build - Debian vs Redhat layout patch options

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010, Bruce Edge wrote:
> What's the right way to address these sort RedHat vs. Debian things in the
> Xen build?
>
> - rm -f  $(D)$(CONFIG_DIR)/sysconfig/xendomains
> + rm -f  $(D)$(CONFIG_DIR)/default/xendomains
>
> - mkdir -p /var/lock/subsys
> - touch /var/lock/subsys/xend
> + mkdir -p /var/lock
> + touch /var/lock/xend
>
> Can I submit a patch that uses a config var to switch on which path use ?
>
> Or, where should such a build time switch go? Env, or?
> ...assuming that it's even an option.
>
> There's a couple of different downstream patches that others are maintaining
> to handle this kind of stuff, but that lag
> behind the xen-unstable tree and it seems like an upstream patch to handle
> this distro variation in the Xen build itself
> would be a better long term solution.

A way to switch between the two would be nice, I would accept a patch
that accomplish that using a config var (something in Config.mk ?.
The default value of this config variable might be detected looking at
the existence of /etc/sysconfig or /etc/default.

Keep in mind that besides sysconfig vs. default there are other subtle
differences, like the chkconfig line in the init scripts
(tools/hotplug/Linux/init.d/xencommons for example).