Re: [Xen-devel] pv-grub boot hangs when iommu=soft. Booting kernel directly with the flags works

Are you able to pv-grub boot while specifying iommu=soft?

To clarify this specific issue; the problem was that minios would produce an error message (see example, specifically: port 5 still bound!) and fail to boot the kernel. I suspect if that if you are able to boot then the kernel would receive and make use of the parameter as it normally would.

# xm create -c ubstub.cfg
Using config file "/etc/xen/ubstub.cfg".
Started domain lucidpv (id=2)
Xen Minimal OS!
 start_info: 0xa9a000(VA)
   nr_pages: 0x20000
 shared_inf: 0xbf44d000(MA)
    pt_base: 0xa9d000(VA)
nr_pt_frames: 0x9
   mfn_list: 0x99a000(VA)
  mod_start: 0x0(VA)
    mod_len: 0
      flags: 0x0
   cmd_line: (hd0)/boot/grub/menu.lst
 stack:      0x959980-0x979980
MM: Init
     _text: 0x0(VA)
    _etext: 0x6987c(VA)
  _erodata: 0x83000(VA)
    _edata: 0x8bae0(VA)
stack start: 0x959980(VA)
      _end: 0x999f88(VA)
 start_pfn: aa9
   max_pfn: 20000
Mapping memory range 0xc00000 - 0x20000000
setting 0x0-0x83000 readonly
skipped 0x1000
MM: Initialise page allocator for ba3000(ba3000)-20000000(20000000)
MM: done
Demand map pfns at 20001000-2020001000.
Heap resides at 2020002000-4020002000.
 Booting command-list

root  (hd0)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, using whole disk
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.10-xen2 root=UUID=2bb30c38-70fc-4e9d-ae69-52db68589a
2e ro iommu=soft swiotlb=force
initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32.10-xen2

block error -2 for op 2
close blk: backend=/local/domain/0/backend/vbd/2/51712 node=device/vbd/51712
port 5 still bound!

Bruce Edge wrote:
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    listmail, le Wed 07 Apr 2010 12:53:19 -0400, a écrit :
    > "If the 'iommu=soft swiotlb=force' is removed it boots"
    >
    > but in actuality,  "switotlb=force" can be left in and it boots
    ok as well.
    > From what I've see it is only when having "iommu=soft" added in that
    > exposes the issue.

    Ok, so the problem really is the combination of pv-grub and
    iommu=soft.

Any update on this problem?
I'm assuming that this is related to my inability to pass through PCI devices to a domU when using pv-grub as such requires the use of iommu=soft.

-Bruce

    > I understand that you have communicated that you don't have time for
    > this in near future and I respect that, however, if there is
    something
    > specific to try that would shed more light on the issue then let me
    > know.

    I have no idea off-hand.  In "I don't have time in the near future", I
    mean that other people could perhaps have a closer look at the
    issue...

    Samuel