Re: [Xen-devel] kernel BUG at drivers/xen/balloon.c:528!

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Łukasz Oleś wrote:

> > In any case you should enable CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI in your kernel
> > config, otherwise the pv frontends won't load properly and you are not
> > going to have any benefits running a PV on HVM kernel.
> >
> > I am not sure why you cannot mount your root device, maybe you didn't
> > specify the correct root= in your kernel command line options?
>
> It works fine on bare metal and  ESX. It looks like in initrd system
> doesn't see any disks.
>
> When I enabled option CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI I was finally able to
> boot my sytem. Is this suposed to work in this way?

You are able to mount /dev/xvd* if you have CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI
(because it is required to initialize blkfront), but you should be able
to mount /dev/hd* just fine without CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI.

However if you have CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI in your config, then the
kernel will unplug the emulated disks at boot so you'll only be able to
mount /dev/xvd*.