[Xen-devel] Re: de-BKLing blkfront

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 15:49 -0400, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> When I was preparing the latest set of blkfront patches to send upstream
> to Jens Axboe, he pointed out there were conflicts with what he
> currently has queued.
>
> It turns out the conflict was from pushing the BKL (lock/unlock_kernel)
> into the open and release functions.  I did the merge keeping them
> around all the new stuff you added to those functions, but I wonder if
> its actually necessary.  Do we rely on open/release being globally
> serialized in there?
>
> I've pushed what I have into the upstream/blkfront branch in xen.git.

Whatever it was, a BLK presumably fixed it.

I see your merge, but can't find this patch in Jens'
linux-2.6-block.git, is there a commit or lkml message left?

Anyway, it should not be necessary any more.

Next I made the common mistake of looking into my code again, and
immediately found I would send an unlucky opener transiently spinning in
blkdev_get. Sometimes I wonder what I'm thinking.

Hold on for a patch to both.

Daniel