Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Writing VM Exit handlers in Xen

On 29/07/2010 16:30, "Jonathan White" <jonxwhite@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks so much for your responses.
> Yes, I am familiar with the Intel manuals and VT chapters in volume
> 3B. My question was where to look in the Xen or dom0 code to tweak
> what VMExits are enabled in the VMCS of a particular HVM guest, so
> that VTx actually traps on those conditions and gives me an
> opportunity to handle them in a handler.
> Do I modify VMCS structure directly in Xen somewhere, or are there
> easier interfaces available for VMCS management?

The intercepts get set up for a new vcpu in
xen/arch/x86/hvm/vmx/vmcs.c:construct_vmcs(). See how certain VMCS control
fields are shadowed in the per-vcpu infor structure. You can also update
these after a vcpu is initialised, and then write the shadow field back to
the VMCS (see for example xen/arch/x86/hvm/vmx/vmx.c:vmx_save_dr() which
updates VMCS field CPU_BASED_VM_EXEC_CONTROL). The vmexits when they occur
are demuxed in xen/arch/x86/hvm/vmx/vmx.c:vmx_vmexit_handler().

 K.