Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-4.0.1-rc5-pre] [pvops 2.6.32.16] Complete freeze within 2 days, no info in serial log

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, i have a domU with 2 usb cards passed through, with 2 USB videograbbers
attached.
This domain is running Konrad's devel/merge.2.6.35-rc6.t2 tree and some
additional patches for the usb3/xhci card, which still give some trouble.

But i didn't expect both dom0 and the hypervisor to freeze as well, and leaving
no clues :(

--

Sander

Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 5:51:26 PM, you wrote:

>   On 08/03/2010 08:45 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 05:30:57PM +0200, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm experiencing for what it seems a random freeze with current
>>> xen-4.0-testing, pvops dom0 2.6.32.16 kernel, most of the time within 2
>>> days after rebooting.
>>>
>> You did not experience the freeze with 2.6.32.15?

> There have been a few updates to the .32.16 kernel too (and now its
> .17...).  But it would be very useful to identify which the last working
> kernel was.

>>> Symptoms:
>>> - Complete freeze, only power cycle does work.
>>> - No bug output/stacktrace in serial log / on screen.
>>> - Not able to get into hypervisor with ctrl-a (doesn't react to keyboard)
>>> - No info in syslog.
>>>
>>> Are there any more boot options I could give a try in the hope it will give
>>> some debug output ?
>> The Linux kernel has some of those 'DETECT_SPINLOCK_HANG' or
>> 'DETECT_WORK..something' flags. It might be a good idea to compile those
>> and see when your machine freezes if after 2 minutes the kernel starts
>> spitting out what is hung. That could give some idea.
>>

> If Xen doesn't respond then it isn't a kernel spinlock problem; it looks
> more system-wide than that.  I notice the kernel command line has lots
> of hidden PCI devices.  Sander, is there any particular activity (esp
> passthrough device activity) which might correspond to the hang?

Best regards,
 Sander                            mailto:linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx