Re: [Xen-devel] HVM hypercalls

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Ruslan Nikolaev wrote:
> Yes, I tried this but it does not seem to work. BTW in paravirtualized mode
> it works fine, the problem is only with HVM.
>
> I tried to specify root=/dev/xvda (my disk image has no partitions, entire
> disk image is a single file system).

If your disk file represents a single partition and in your pv config file you
have a disk entry like this one:

disk = [ 'file:/home/ruslan/fs1.img,xvda1,w' ]

then your disk is not going to work in HVM mode.
Qemu must be able to handle your disk otherwise the bootloader won't be
able to boot your kernel.

> My config is (I also tried to comment out device model but it does not help):
>
> import os, re
> arch = os.uname()[4]
> if re.search('64', arch):
>     arch_libdir = 'lib64'
> else:
>     arch_libdir = 'lib'

remove this part if you are using xl

> kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
>
> builder='hvm'
>
> vcpus=1
>
> memory = 1024
> shadow_memory = 8
> name = "xenhvm1"
> disk = [ 'file:/home/ruslan/fs1.img,xvda,w' ]

Even though xvda is currently supported it would be better to specify
hda here if you only have one disk, because you need at least an IDE
interface to boot.

> device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'

device_model='qemu-dm' especially if you are using xl