Re: [Xen-devel] libxl: link error

On Friday 13 August 2010 14:29:07 Ian Jackson wrote:
> Christoph Egger writes ("[Xen-devel] libxl: link error"):
> > I get this link error when linking libxl:
> >
> > ld: libxl_dom.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol
> > `hvm_build_set_params' can not be used when making a shared object;
> > recompile with -fPIC
>
> I think this is probably a side effect of the addition of the
> "_hidden" attribute (aka `__attribute__((visibility("hidden")))',
> defined in libxl_internal.h) to this function ?

This is not the problem but this triggers the issue.

> Can you explain what the notable differences are between the Linux and
> BSD ELF linkers ?  Perhaps the BSD linker does not support this
> attribute, in which case we should probably #ifdef it out.

NetBSD uses the GNU ld. I don't know the differences
in the linker scripts between Linux and NetBSD.

> Or perhaps the problem is something else.

Yes, it is a bug in libxl/Makefile related to my local blktap/noblktap change.
I added the .c instead the .o file. Fixed in my local tree. Sorry for the
noise.

Christoph

--
---to satisfy European Law for business letters:
Advanced Micro Devices GmbH