[Xen-devel] Re: gdbsx defines own _domctl_hcall instead of using libxc?

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:48:36 +0100
Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Mukesh,
>
> I was auditing uses of set_xen_guest_handle for correctness when I
> noticed that gdbsx (specifically tools/debugger/gdbsx/xg/xg_main.c)
> defines its own _domctl_hcall and associated helpers instead of using
> libxc.
>
> Is there any particular reason for that?
>
> Ian.

Hi Ian,

No strong reasons, other than to keep it very independent. There are
other users of gdbsx backend like, Maxine Inspector, which is used to
debug JAVA guests on xen. I'd think that changing it to use libxc
should be OK, since its running on dom0, and should not have any
annoying compatibility issues with gdbsx and libxc going out of sync. I
don't like interfaces changing very often, so hopefully, that would not
happen.

thanks,
Mukesh