[Xen-devel] RE: hv block drivers

>On Monday 30 August 2010 Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>>On Monday 30 August 2010, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>> Have you investigated making virtio a scsi device?
>
>I doubt that there is much value in changing it now, and it's not something
>I'd be interested in working on.
>For the HyperV drivers, it probably makes sense because half of it is trying
>to look
>like SCSI anyway, while the other half is trying to look like ATA. For the ATA
>driver,
>the obvious choice would be to make it a libata backend, though my impression
>from a brief look at the driver was that it's better to copy some of the
>libata code
>and integrate it into the hv SCSI driver.

Arnd,

Thanks for following up! I was cleaning up some other part of the drivers (not
related to IDE/SCSI)
And on my todo list is to clean up the IDE/SCSI drivers. I will go through the
libata code and see
If there is anything in there that I can use to make these drivers somewhat
saner.

I am not sure if I can combine them into one yet, Hyper-V treats both drivers
differently. And there
Are some rumored changes to Hyper-V that would make these changes maybe even a
bit more difficult.

I will use this mailing list to bounce ideas off of.

I still need to clean up your other suggestion as well, the static declarations
:)

For a more general question, When/if we make it out of staging, where should
these drivers live?

        drivers/hyper-v or drivers/scsi and drivers/ide.

Is there a standard that is being followed?

Hank.