AW: RE: AW: Re: [Xen-devel] ACPI problem, was Xen BUG in mm / Xen 4.0.1 with 2.6.32.18/21 pvops Kernel?

So let's wait what they tell me. Issue has been passed to their BIOS
group. BR, Carsten.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Jan Beulich [mailto:JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 15. September 2010 10:15
An: Carsten Schiers
Cc: jeremy; gang.wei; winston.l.wang; yunhong.jiang; xen-devel
Betreff: AW: RE: AW: Re: [Xen-devel] ACPI problem, was Xen BUG in mm /
Xen 4.0.1 with 2.6.32.18/21 pvops Kernel?

>>> On 15.09.10 at 09:22, "Carsten Schiers" <carsten@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As I am not such an expert (although through this experience, I now
know
> much more about ACPI),
> can we now assume that the BIOS is ok? It's because I mailed the
Asrock
> guys already and either
> need to give them the latest info, or I would explain them everything
is
> settled.

Based on even the native kernel complaining (just not dying) the
BIOS certainly isn't fully correct. This particularly includes (but
isn't
necessarily limited to)

        Name (CSDT, Package (0x18)
        {
            "CPU0CST ",
            0x80000000,
            0x80000000,
            "CPU1CST ",
            0x80000000,
            0x80000000,
            "CPU2CST ",
            0x80000000,
            0x80000000,
            "CPU3CST ",
            0x80000000,
            0x80000000,
            "CPU4CST ",
            0x80000000,
            0x80000000,
            "CPU5CST ",
            0x80000000,
            0x80000000,
            "CPU6CST ",
            0x80000000,
            0x80000000,
            "CPU7CST ",
            0x80000000,
            0x80000000
        })

listing invalid addressed for *all* CPUs (not just the ones actually
not present). Another point is that currently you may be luck in that
they may not get evaluated. If they can guarantee that this will
never get accessed, imo they should just leave it (and the dead
access) out.

Jan