Re: [Xen-devel] Passing information from HVM to Xen hypervisor

  • To: Priyanka Tembey <tembey.priyanka@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:04:49 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 08:07:37 -0700

It depends on what information you want to pass.  Shared pages are
good to pass information to Xen if it's updated frequently, but Xen
doesn't necessarily need to know about each update.  (Paravirtualized
TPR would be a good example of this -- updated somtimes thoundands of
times per second, but only important if Xen is delivering an
interrupt.)

For simplicity, I'd probably say start with a hypercall, and switch to
a shared page only if the overhead of making the VMEXITs is causing a
measurable performance problem.

Are you doing scheduler work?

 -George