Re: [Xen-devel] Easier interface for kickstarting Xen VMs

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Edward Z. Yang wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> When you're embedding an HTTPD server into your Xen configuration
> file, you know there's something wrong. :-)
>
> I was curious to know if there would be any interest in offering
> a more polished, easier to use interface for kickstarting Xen
> VMs.  No mucking around with ks= and trusted web servers: just
> say where your kickstart file is and Xen will take care of the rest.
> Maybe even let you do a little preprocessing the same way you
> can use Python scripting to support multiple machines out of one
> configuration file.
>
> We have a few ways of how we might do this: the "temporarily spawn
> an HTTP server" is one of them but other possibilities include
> mounting multiple initrds (doesn't actually work with Anaconda, we're
> looking into it) and exporting a small, temporary filesystem to the VM.
> If there's interest, we'll clean up our code and submit it.

You should be aware that we are trying to move away from xend to xl,
that generally supports the same VM config file format with just one
exception: embedded python.

Considering that kickstarting Xen VMs is a common problem and probably
the main headache for sysadmins when moving from xend to xl, I would
welcome a clean and small solution to this problem that doesn't involve
embedded python.
If we go with the temporary fs strategy, I guess there isn't any actual
code to be committed to xen-unstable, but rather a wiki page to
describe the solution and a link to the initrd?