RE: [Xen-devel] New Hypercall Declaration

Thanks Dan, that makes some sense. I will try on this lines now.

From: Dan Magenheimer [dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:47 PM
To: Nimgaonkar, Satyajeet; xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] New Hypercall Declaration

Do you understand that you must also change the hypervisor to recognize and do something with your new hypercall?  Your userland code may actually be working and the hypercall may actually be resulting in an entry into the hypervisor, but unless the hypervisor is modified to recognize the new hypercall (#56) and do something with it, the hypervisor will generate a return value of -1 (essentially saying “I don’t recognize this hypercall number”).

If you have modified the hypervisor, please share that patch.  If not, you will need to modify at least  the hypercall_table and the hypercall_args_table in entry.S (under x86, x86_64, and x86_64/compat, or all three, depending on the bit-ness of your hypervisor and guest) and create a do_my_hypercall() routine somewhere.  Then of course you will need to ensure that you are properly building, installing, and booting your newly modified hypervisor.

Printk’s done inside the hypervisor can be viewed using “xm dmesg” or via a properly configured serial port.

Use “xm info” and look at cc_compile_date to ensure you are booting your newly modified hypervisor.

Hope that helps,

Dan